What is WEB3
Web 3.0 (also known as web3) is the third iteration or version of the Internet that interconnects data in a decentralized way to deliver a faster and more personalized user experience. It offers a read/write/own version of the web, in which users have a financial stake in and more control over the web communities they belong to. Web3 promises to transform the experience of being online as dramatically as PCs and smartphones did.
What’s the difference?
- Web 1.0 is a read-only web where people can read information written on websites.
- Web 2.0 is a read-write web where people can read and write content on websites and applications.
- Web 3.0 is a read-write-interact web (powered by artificial intelligence) where people can read, write and interact with content, including 3D graphics, on websites and apps.
The key features of Web3 are:
- Open – It’s ‘open’ in the sense that it’s made with open-source software developed by an open community of developers and in full view of the public.
- Trustless – The network offers freedom to interact publicly and privately without an intermediary exposing them to risks.
- Permissionless – Anyone, including users and providers, can engage without the need for permission from a controlling organization.
- Ubiquitous – Web 3.0 will make the Internet available to all of us, at any time and from any location. At some point, Internet-connected devices will no longer be limited to computers and smartphones, as they are in web 2.0. Because of the IoT (Internet of Things), technology will enable the development of a multitude of new types of connected gadgets.
What is a DAO?
DAO, Decentralized Autonomous Organization, is formed when a group of people decide to abide by certain rules to meet common goals. These rules are written into codes of the organization on the blockchain. This gives the community voting rights for how the DAO is run.
What does this mean for Education?
Education system can use DAO’s in many ways. They would be able to vote on critical decisions like curriculum, assessments, and allocation of budget. Everyone would need to think equally about the success of the school and the happiness of it’s population in order to continue operating.
Ed3 DAO is a global community reimagining education, with web3. The first DAO for educators, by educators.
I am excited to know a few other awesome connected educators, and excited that I will be attending the ED3 DAO UnConference in November!
The Ed3 Unconference is a virtual, gamified, learning & networking experience focused on web3, & contextualized for education.https://www.ed3dao.com/
Discussions between innovators in web3 & experts in education about the utility (& risks) of blockchain, metaverse, NFTs, & cryptocurrency in education
Practical sessions on how the web3 ecosystem is impacting the workforce
Ideation & collaboration on the future of education
There is so much happening in our society, so many changes and this is just the beginning of a transformation in education. I am so excited to be on this journey and learn more!
One reply on “WEB3 in Education: What happens when we use DAO’s”
[…] Ed3DAO UnConference 2022 was one of the most interactive and inspiring virtual conference that I have ever […]
You must log in to post a comment.